Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Paula Deen’s Salisbury Steak

100_0569

When I saw this in the Paula Deen’s Best Dishes magazine, I knew I had to make a healthy version of it. I love my beef and I love my gravy so this was a must. It was pretty easy to make and would have been pretty quick if I could run the microwave the same time I run the Foreman Grill without flipping a breaker. I served it with microwave mashed potatoes, which I’m still trying to develop a good recipe for that. I’ll post it when I do, but suggestions would be appreciated. And I also served it with green beans. Also microwaved. I was running behind tonight and was short on time. Yes that is a picture of my finished work and yes my plating leaves something to be desired. But anyway, I really enjoyed this. It was flavorfull but filing. Good enough that you want seconds, but hardy enough, that you don’t have too. Everything in the picture is proper serving size so you know you have a decent meal on your hands, but if you still don’t think all that will fill you up, add a salad on the side. When in doubt fill yourself up with healthy greens. My husband liked the meal and said it can be on our normal food rotation. We’ll know if his sensitive stomach likes it in the morning.

This recipe makes 6 servings.

Paula Deen’s Salisbury Steak:
2lbs lean ground beef
1/2 cup whole wheat cracker crumbs
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 (8-ounce) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
2 tbsp whole wheat flour
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp low fat/sodium beef broth
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed French onion soup
1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef Consommé

Bring ground beef to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, cracker crumbs, egg, Worcestershire, garlic, pepper, and salt. Form into 6 (4in) patties. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Add patties to skillet or cook in a grilling machine. If cooking in a skillet cook for about 7 to 8 min per side or until browned. Remove patties from pan and rinse with very hot water.

Add to skillet olive oil, beef broth, and mushrooms and sauté for 1 to 2 min or until just tender. Add flour and onion soup, stirring constantly for 2 min. Stir in Consommé.

Firmly blot patties with a paper towel and return patties to skillet. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 30 to 40 min or until patties are cooked through. and sauce is thickened. Serve immediately

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try to make this for dinner Wednesday night. But I will have to even tweak it a little more....unsalted butter, corn flour, etc. I have a blog also where i try to make healthier recipes, please check it out and follow it if you want.

    ReplyDelete